Re: Distribution method - could there be a better way?

On Saturday 20 November 2004 15:49, Tom and Esther Ward wrote:
> Another point for having physical media is installing Fedora on more than

I actually did install a very basic set of FC3 beta on a Pentium II directly
off the Internet.

I don't recommend istalling off diaup (which is what I did, with four-hour
session limits).

I configured an Apache virtual host, fedora.demo.lan.
I configured Apache to proxy this domain from an Australian mirror.
I installed from Fedora.demo.lan.

Anaconda does not cope well with failed network links, so ach time my Internet
connexion failed I had to restart the install.

Because the files already installed were cached, catching up was quick: the
first part runs at LAN speed.

If you have a broadband connexion this is arguably better than installing from
media: you have all he benefits of being able to install lots of boxes off
you LAN without needing to download 2.1 Gb or so of ISO images.

Then, iof you';re so inclined, you can roll your own CD or DVD with just your
selection: the files you need are listed in the Apache log.

--
Cheers
John