Re: cdrecord problems

Andrew Smith wrote:

Hi,
got two problems with cdrecord on fc2 and noone seems to have
mentioned them here or in bugzilla so I'm wondering what's wrong ...

Firstly,
if I write a 9 second blank wave file twice onto a blank CD with
the following command:

# cdrecord -eject -v dev=/dev/cdrom -speed=4 -pad -audio -tao blank9.wav
blank9.wav

What I get is a 9 second blank track followed but a 9 second 'almost'
blank track
The problem is that there is a very loud click at the end of the last
track (and there always is not matter what is in the wave file)
Maybe the fixating code has a bug?

Config info:
CPU: AthlonXP 2400+ (2.0Ghz)
kernel = 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 (i686)
cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1  AND  cdrecord-2.01.1-0.FC2.1
motherboard = ASRock K7S41GX

I have seen something similar with k3b and cdrecord. It was working fine until sometime recently (perhaps after I upgraded cdrtools?). Data cd's are being burned without a problem. I went to burn an audio cd with cd-text, and went I went to listen to it, it was just a pattern of noises. I tried again and had the same results. I do not have cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1 installed, just cdrecord-2.01.1-0.FC2.1:

# cdrecord --version
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.

Secondly,
if I write a CD with a second computer that is an Athlon64 then
the CD is just full or noise not the original audio
(same command as above with one or more wave files)
The writer was in the other PC for a long time and didn't have
this problem until if moved to the newer PC

Config info:
CPU: Athlon64 3000+ (2.0Ghz)
kernel = 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 (i686)
cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1  AND  cdrecord-2.01.1-0.FC2.1

Seeing the same thing with an Athlon XP 2800 and a PlexWriter CD-RW. Why do you have two versions of cdrecord install?