OT: Power Supplies

> RoboticGolem wrote:
>
> |> << -- SNIP -- >>
> |
> | Well ok, here goes.  I recently did a post about X quiting out with
>

> | a sig11 a lot.  Its usually about once or twice a week but the
> | other day it did it like 3 times in a row.  The only responce I got
> | was that it could be bad ram.  So I ran memtest on the machine.
> | Nothin, I have registered ECC ram (required for my board) I've
> | pulled the sound card, no effect.  I havent had a spontaneous
> | reboot since I got the new video card.  Which gives me the same
> | effect weather I use the comercial nvidia drivers or the open
> | source nv drivers.  I dont seem to have the same problem in
> | windows, but I run windows about as much as I run in the street.
> | The only thing I've come up with is that its either the power
> | supply, or I need to get some sort of line conditioner for the plug
> | its pluged into.  I have a beautiful surge protector, but I guess
> | that wouldnt stop drops in the power level. Thanks for all your
> | help.
> |
> | -Matt
> |
> Matt,
>
> Thanks, that provides more useful information....
>
> I'm guessing it may be the Video drivers.  I've seen several posts
> recently about the NVidia drivers and mouse problems with FC3.  Basic
> lockup issues and mysterious reboots and the like.
> Something to try....  Get a generic video card to test with....  STAY
> AWAY from ATI and NVidia Chipsets.  This will help eliminate any video
> driver issues.
> Another thing to try....  Use the init level 3 instead of 5.  If you
> have problems with crashes still, you know it is related to something
> other than the video drivers.  The text mode is much less stressful
> for the video drivers.
>
> Post a message to NVidia describing your problem, if not already
> done.  They should support the drivers they have....  and wait for the
> BIG wheels to turn.
>
> Good Luck,
> James Kosin
>
> PS:  I always have similar problems with my ATI card... and installing
> FC? and running X right out of the BOX.  The install always goes fine
> weather in Graphical mode or Text mode.

Ok.  Well, I never have ANY problems in init3 (I personally LOVE text
mode) however I cant run blender in text mode yet.  I had the same
problems with the last ati card I had, cept the I couldnt enable 3d on
that card.  I bought this card FX5200 because the mainboard
manufacturer guaranteed compatibility.  My system hasnt locked up or
rebooted all day.  Its been nice.  I have an old (and I do mean OLD)
trident card that I've run tests with, but as it can only get 800x600
resolution there isnt a lot I can try.  I know its a brand name power
supply, I cant remember what brand, I bought it less then 4months ago
with the motherboard.  I'm not thinking power to the board is an issue
and it uses the standard atx connector, that 4pin aux power connector,
and then a 12v drive connector (which has to not be connected to
anything else).  Vents cant be an issue either as I have the side
panel off to route cables.  (anyone you can recommend a REALLY roomy
case would be appreciated, I have a full tower and its too small)
*shrug*  doesnt reset while printing sometimes it'll just kick me out
of x when nothing is happening...  not even a screensaver.  *sigh*  I
dont know what to do.