Re: unable to install FC3

Stefan Seefeld is having pretty dire problems with his USB tablet.
> just to be clear: as I'v just upgraded to FC3, I'm using the default kernel.
> Is it expected to work 'out-of-the-box' with the tablet ?

Layers. Think layers. It works for HTTP over TCP over IP over PPP over
wet string. It works here.

You've got a USB device. It should, at the very least, even if there
aren't any drivers for it, act as an "Unknown Device" on the bus.

It should, at worst, Not Work by itself. It shouldn't destabilize the
entire box.

You're getting basic USB "I can't talk USB to this device! Retry! Reset!
Abort!" errors.

Getting drivers to work with it is the next stage.

> Note that I used the very same hardware with earlier releases (RH9, FC1).
> I *think* I started to run into trouble when upgrading the kernel from 2.4.x
> to 2.6.x.

A major release: yes, that could be where the problem came.

If you were feeling *really* helpful, you could re-install FC1 and
selected 2.5 kernels, seeing at which revision of 2.5 the problems
begin. Then you could try posting to the Linux Kernel Mailing List, and
seeing what they say.

Sorry I can't be of any more help,

James.

--
E-mail address: james |  ... File not found, I'll load something *I* think
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |  is interesting.