Re: Re: module-init-tools removale?

Hey John. Thanks for the reply. I, personally, do not need this upgrade, but for some reason apt-get dist-upgrade does and also wants to remove the module-init-tools package. I am running a 2.6 kernel. Perhaps there is some package management issues with FC3 and apt. Has anyone encountered similiar problems?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:32:08 +0800
From: John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: module-init-tools removale?
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

On Friday 19 November 2004 20:56, Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:

Has anyone received this message when performing a apt-get dist-upgrade
on FC3?

[root@cosby ~]# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  module-init-tools
  modutils
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  module-init-tools (due to kernel#2.6.9-1.667)
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 removed and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/624kB of archives.
After unpacking 882kB of additional disk space will be used.
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?]

I've not yet used FC, but I have been using Debian for a while.

You need module-init-toolsn for your 2.6 kernel; modutils simply will not do
the job.

If you have a 2.4 kernel you can boot you should be okay, but it's something
you will need to sort out.

If you can, I recommend a backup.

If you can't do that, then make a boot image (CD?) you can use to boot from
after the "upgrade."

It looks like it might make the system unbootable, but perhaps not hard to
recover.

Alternatively, do you need this upgrade?