Re: Netgear RP114 Problem

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 06:18, Pybe wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:11:50 -0600, Chris LaForce
> <ctn82020@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >    I am having problem installing my new Netgear Rp114 router and I was
> > wondering if someone could give me some direction.  I was able to get my
> > windows xp pc running fine.  This is the first router that I have ever used.
> > I just kind of went through and did the default settings.  It just isn't
> > finding any web sites and I can't ping anything.  Please let me know if you
> > have any ideas or even just list out the steps of how you would maybe do it.
> >  That would be great.
> > Thanks,
>
> Does your router provide your pc's with an ip address via dhcp? If so
> does it also provide the dns servers for your connection?
>
> Open a terminal and ping www.bbc.co.uk what happens?
>
> Can you ping 212.58.224.121?
>
> If the ip address works you will need to add the dns servers provided
> by your ips to /etc/resolve.conf.
>
> HTH
> Pybe

Thanks,
The solution was to enter the ip addresses for my isp's dns servers.  I
do have another question about this setup.  Now that I installed my
router when I boot up I get the error:
"Could not look up internet address for dhcppc2.
This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
dhcppc2 to the file /etc/hosts."
Also, now when I enter a terminal instead of get
myusername@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I get myusername@dhcppc2.  Can someone
tell me how to change this back or why it is happening?
Thanks,

Chris.