Re: General proc. for uninstalling software?

Hans Troost wrote:

Dear all,

Since about a month a changed from Bill's OS's to Fedora, so I'm relatively new, but in the mean time learned a lot, thanks to this community.

Fedora version: FC2 2.6.5-1.358smp

So now with some experience I'm ready to make some personal choices about the program I will use in the future. So which one for mailing, one specific web-browser etc. etc.
Since I'm working in the IT (but new to UNIX), I always try to keep my computers as clean as possible, so I now want to remove the software I do not longer use.

Is there a general way to "uninstall" software and are there pitfalls I have to avoid (and how).

Examples: I want to remove the whole XIMIAN stuff, I am happy with KMAIL, I want to remove the whole MOZILLA-suite and replace it by a web-browser-only program like Firefox and I want to remove a lot of other software I just installed to try and no longer use.

My only installation experience up to now is with YUM (used update, install and search) and RPM -IVH. Not further experience nor in general nor with these programs.

Fedora include a centralized system for program installation/deinstallation called RPM.
Calling RPM "a simply installation manager" is reductive, because it trace all files, description of packages, name of the machine on which it was compiled, home pages etc...
This manager can manage only "rpm files".
Fedora's CDs include only rpm packs.
Yum is a front end for managing the dependencies (the "hell of libraries").
For uninstalling package you simply need to run rpm -e <package name>.

For uninstalling package without care of libraries you need to run yum remove <package name>.