Re: NVIDIA Drivers (1.0-6629) and Fedora Core 3 (2.6.9-1.667)

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 07:58:36PM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 17.11.2004 schrieb Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar um 19:46:
>
> > I was reading this list and others forums about the nVIDIA binary
> > drivers version 1.0-6629 and Fedora Core 3, and tried the presented
> > solutions, but none worked to me.
> >
> > When I go to runlevel 5, the nVIDIA driver loads and it's show the Logo,
> > but at this this, I can see a mouse cursor and it hangs, I can move the
> > mouse (slowly), but the GDM/KDE/XDM don't show up.
> >
> > Coping /dev/nvidia* to /etec/udev/devices and changing it's owner to
> > root and group to root don't resolve the problem as said (this was done
> > with the 6110 version, I think).
> >
> > I've tried a solution showed by Alexander Dalloz, that patch the nv.c
> > file, and it with the above, but not worked too.
>
> This patch is only needed for the older driver version 6111.
>
> > Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar
>
> Which graphics card do you use? There seems to be problems with older
> card types like TNT2. You then will have to run the older driver
> version.

rpm packaged nvidia drivers (6629, 6111, 6106) for FC3 can be found at

http://atrpms.net/name/nvidia-graphics/

The drivers have a small buglet still, the /dev entries will vanish
after a reboot. Workaround for now: After package installation do

cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

(see also: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/)

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net