Re: clamassassin with call to clamav software corrupts mail

Am Do, den 18.11.2004 schrieb Richard E Miles um 1:46:

> I found out that clamassassin does not cause duplicate mail messages because
> even if I commented out the .procmailrc rule I still experienced the
> duplicate mail messages. I have since updated clamassassin to version 2.2 and
> have modified my .procmailrc rules to reflect Alexander Dolloz
> suggestions. I found out that the duplicate mail generation occurs if I
> leave fetchmail running for an hour or more. I don't know why. I find if
> I stop fetchmail after a lull in receiving messages that I don't experience
> the duplicate mail messages. I am puzzled by this. I will once more show you
> my .procmailrc file after I have made the corrections. If you see something
> amiss please let me know.

> Richard E Miles

I feel you got a step forward and found out that your problem is with
fetchmail. So it would be good if you tell us, how often you call
fetchmail and how your .fetchmailrc looks like. Maybe fetching mail
overlaps. Do you keep the mail on the server? Do you call fetchmail by a
cronjob or is it running in daemon mode? If it is first make sure it
does not run while a previous process still fetches. That could be done
with a crontab line like:

*/5 0-1,7-23 * * * if [ "`ps --User remiles| grep fetchmail`" == "" ];
then /usr/bin/fetchmail > /dev/null 2>&1; fi

Set your fetchmail into verbose mode and log it's processing. This way
you can get when and why it delivers the same mail more than once to
your local MTA. Do you run multi-drop or single-drop? If unsure a view
at the mail header of a fetched mail can tell you (its in one of the
Received header lines).

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 02:10:37 up 3:56, 16 users, 1.46, 1.02, 0.97