[SOLVED] Re: udev + custom vanilla kernel - modules - initrd

Joachim Backes wrote:
On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 11:29 +0800, Serge de Souza wrote:

Does anyone know how to get FC3 to run with a custom vanilla kernel that does not have any modules (hence usage of initrd is not possible) ? I
< snip >
But when the system boots, there are errors when start_dev runs saying something like " /dev/pts Not a directory"

All suggestions welcome

Serge

Hi, I had similar problems which could be solved by

1. Configure the vanilla kernel with shm
2. make an initrd by "mkinitrd" or "make install" during kernel
generation.

Thanks that solved it! I didn't have shm enabled... mkinitrd would not work because there are no modules in my kernel, but all that was needed was shm.

I knew that the vague error message would be meaningful to someone who had encountered the problem.

Thanks again.

Serge