Re: fc 3 powerdown hang

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:42:53 +1100, Rick Chen <rick.chen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello
>         After install fedora core 3 and update with the latest updates include
> nVidia 3D driver. But my system can not complete shutdown anymore with
> poweroff, /sbin/shutdown -h now or any other method for that matter.
>         On the shutdown screen it go through the usually stuff
> .
> .
> power down
> acpi_power_off called
>
> => then freeze. I have to reset and shutdown manually.
> Does anyone know what is cause of this? and solution. thx

I also have this problem with FC3 not turning the power off after
shutting down as well.  The computer did not exhibit this behavior
with FC2.  Booting with the option acpi=off fixes the problem and the
computer powers off after shutdown.  It seems maybe there is a problem
within the "acpi_power_off" function that isn't working correctly for
some computers, and booting without acpi uses a different method to
turn the power off.  Does anyone know anything about how this function
works?
What hardware do people have who are experiencing this problem?  This
is happening for me on an AMD Athlon XP machine with a VIA KT400
chipset motherboard and nVidia GeForce MX440 graphics card.  I've
noticed that at least a couple other who see this behavior have AMD
processors.  Interesting trend.

Jonathan