Re: FC 3 for a Kid on a Gateway Profile 3

Deep Thinker wrote:

Hello All,

I have just downloaded the first disk to Fedora Core 3. My boss has
an old Gateway Profile 3 (Pentium III, 1GHz, 256 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard
Drive, CDBurner/DVD ROM) and he wants me to install Linux on it for
him to play with and for his kids to play games on.

I chose Fedora because of the reviews I have read concerning ease of
use and community support.
These folks aren't going to want to do any elaborate system maintenace
or updating. The parents will want to use the machine for browsing the
Internet, possibly to check mail, and my boss to get a little peak at
"what all the Linux fuss is about."

This set up could possibly be a stepping stone for allowing me to
replace some of the older workstation operating systems at work with
Linux, so I need to get this as clean and dependable as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as childrens educations games
that will work well with FC 3? I imagine Open Office and Firefox will
be enough for the parents to get started with.

Thanks in advance,

For children education games you should install kdeedu packages.
It contains many useful software such as kstars, klazium, klatin, ktouch and kturtle
For mail client I suggest you thunderbird.