Config option for a NIC's mac address

Hello!

I'd like to know if there's a "standard" way to set a NIC's MAC-address
on Fedora Core 3 automatically at system startup. There's the HWADDR
option in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ethX but this doesn't
seem to _set_ the address, it's only used by the startup scripts to
check if the NIC does have the expected address.

If not, does anyone know an elegant way to do this? At the moment I
simply do after booting:

/etc/init.d/network stop
ifconf eth1 hw ether 0000xxx
/etc/init.d/network start

I guess I could put that into rc.local, but this seems ugly to me...

Kind regards, Stefan