Problems modifying / adding users groups

Sorry, I think I sent this to the "Announce" list initially on accident.

Hello,

I'm running several Fedora C2 boxes, and this one is giving me grief.  I
can't reload it because apps are already running on it.  I went to add a
"mysql" group while installing mysql 4.1.7, and found that I can't add
or modify groups and users.

With groupadd I get:

Groupadd: cannot rewrite group file

Same deal with useradd.

With system-config-users it locks up and in a terminal I see the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-users/groupWindow.py", line 154, in
on_groupWin_ok_button_clicked
    self.parent.ADMIN.addGroup(groupEnt)
RuntimeError: couldn't get security context of `/etc/group': No data
available

Any ideas what could be causing it?  And how I can fix it (preferably
not just rebooting, I can't reboot it until Saturday and I need to get
this going).

Dan.

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential
and intended solely for the person or organization
to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged
and confidential information and if you are not the
intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or
take any action in reliance on it. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender as soon as possible and delete the e-mail
message and any attachment(s).

This message has been scanned for viruses
by TechTeam's email gateway.