-serious- crash when attempting to sync a palm pilot on FC3 using USB

Please help!  I rely heavily on my palm pilot and jpilot!

I used to be able to sync my Palm Tungsten C, running the english
version of update 3, on Fedora Core 2 over usb.  I would have to unload
and reload kernel modules from time to time, but that was about as
serious as the problems got.

Now that I've moved to Fedora Core 3, my home system sync's and backs up
my Tungsten C well (still have to unload and reload modules sometimes),
but my FC3 system at work is crashing during sync's sometimes, and
backups always.

Sometimes after the crash, the FC3 system at work fails to reboot
afterward!  I've found that if I boot single user in such an instance,
and re-mkswap my swap partitions, then I can boot back up again.  But
sync and backup of my palm continue to be very unusable.

I'm using a device file at /etc/udev/devices/ttyUSB1.  The file
attributes are:

tesuji-strombrg> ls -l /etc/udev/devices/ttyUSB1
crw-r--r--    1 strombrg root     188,   1 2004-11-15 17:24
/etc/udev/devices/ttyUSB1

Some files are sync'd, but eventually, my machine crashes hard - I can't
even ping it, and the mouse doesn't budge a millimeter.

For sync'ing software, I've tried both the version of jpilot that comes
with FC3, and:

pilot-xfer --port /etc/udev/devices/ttyUSB1 --backup .

...both crash hard.

My usb controllers on the troubled machine look as follows in lspci -v:

00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller
 (rev 1a) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
        I/O ports at d400 [size=32]

00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller
 (rev 1a) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
        I/O ports at d800 [size=32]

My USB controllers on the FC3 system that is (mostly) working, are as
follows:

00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0
Controller (rev 07) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller
        Memory at cfffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0
Controller (rev 07) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Onboard USB
Controller
        Memory at cfffd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

I've tried sync'ing both with (as of yesterday) a "yum -y update" and
without a yum update on the troubled machine, and both crash hard,
consistently.

Could this be an OHCI vs UHCI issue?  Am I correct in assuming that
these use two different drivers?  Is one known to be more stable than
the other on FC3?

Thanks for -any- suggestions or hints you can provide, no matter how
large or small!