Re: root can startx, user can't

On Monday 15 November 2004 19:54, Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz wrote:
> Well, I'll change the "MALLOC_CHECK_ environment variable" and see what
> else breaks...

Well, I added that variable, and set it to 1 because I wanted to see what kind
of error it threw out, and still have the program go past it. Instead of
complaining about a corrupted double-linked list, I hung on a segmentation
fault instead.

I did file the bug with Bugzilla. (Bug #139469) It was similar to another bug
there but the nvidia drivers wasn't a catalyst for the other bug, so I
started a new one.

I also filed a bug report with Nvidia, when a strange thing happened. I needed
to get the Xorg log from the user's point of view, so I removed the
MALLOC_CHECK_ variable, and tried to start xorg from the user's prompt. When
xorg hung, switched to the root's console to copy /var/log/Xorg.0.log to a
separate file so I could upload that to both Bugzilla and the nvidia bug
report later. Switched back to xorg, yep, still hung. Blinked, xorg is up.

I didn't do anything. For the past 18 hours I had let xorg alone for as long a
90 minutes thinking that if I just let it alone, it would just go on it's
merry way, and now it just suddenly came up. I didn't do anything different.
And the console still has the complaint about the glibc and the corrupted
double-linked list.

I guess I have more homework to do.