Re: FC3 coasters

Rick Lim wrote:
Hi there
I've downloaded FC3 via bittorent and burn all 5 disks, using these disk I
upgraded my laptop from FC2 to FC3 with no problems.
When I try to upgrade desktops with the same disks they fail, I have then
tried a media check of the disks and they fail, so I've burn more disks only
to have them fail.

How does one go about checking the downloaded iso images are sound before
burning a bunch of coasters?

Most likely all of your CDs are fine. Try booting using "linux ide=nodma".

You can check that your ISO downloads are OK by comparing the md5sums with those published on the download site:

md5sum -c MD5SUM

where MD5SUM is the file of that name in the iso directory that you downloaded the ISO images from

You can check that your burned CDs are OK by getting the data back off the CD and either comparing the file with the original ISO or checking its md5sum.

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=burned-iso-1.iso bs=16384
cmp burned-iso-1.iso FC3-i386-disc1.iso
md5sum burned-iso-1.iso  (then compare the result with that in the MD5SUM file)

Paul.