Re: mount vfat ok but FAIL to access files, fc2/fc3

Patrick Chiang wrote:
> on my FC2/FC3 I used to mount a vfat(FAT32) partition by this command,
>
> # mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/data/
>
> And access any files without problems.
>
> However, after a kernel upgrade (I can't remember exactly which version,
> maybe 2.6.7?) I cannot access some files/folders on vfat, even I can
> mount that paritition without any error messages.
>
> If I try to do some simple tasks, like
>
> cp -r /mnt/data/aaa/ /tmp or ls
>
> a "Segmentation fault" message will pop up, or the command line would be
> freezed.

<snip>

> On FC2 I kept using older kernel, like 2.6.4 to mount this partition;
> This's my workground.
> but now I have upgraded my pc, so my old approach can't work anymore.
> Hopefully someone can give me some pointers. TIA :)

Are you using the same memory?

Can you check it with memtest86?

It's possible that there's some bad memory where the newer kernels put
the vfat module...

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Telsa ruthlessly depopulates the cuddly toy pile.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | There is only room for so many penguins in any one