Re: Yum problem after update on FC-3

Am Mo, den 15.11.2004 schrieb Timothy Murphy um 19:11:

> How are you so sure what I am doing?

There is not other way to get python 2.4 than to get it by the
development tree. I don't expect you manually did install it from
sources or external ;)

> In fact, I haven't changed the enabled line
> in any of the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ -
> they are exactly as they were after I upgraded to FC-3,
> namely fedora.repo and fedora-updates.repo have enabled=1
> and the other twoi have enabled=0.

Hm, that is curious then.

> To repeat, all I did was upgrade from FC3-test3 to FC3,
> and run "yum upgrade".

FC3test3 was an install from the ISO images?

> This caused 209 rpms to be downloaded,
> including updates of yum and python.
>
> So yum worked before this, and didn't work afterwards.

Then please check to what "fedora.repo" and "fedora-updates.repo" are
pointing for you. What is the output of "rpm -q fedora-release"? Does it
match "fedora-release-3-8" which is the FC3 version?

> As a matter of interest, did you run "yum upgrade"
> after installing or upgrading to FC-3?
> If so, how many rpms, roughly, did you download?
> And did they include newer versions of yum and python?
> (I get a record in /var/log/yum.log.)
> If so, what were these versions?

Yes, I recently did a "yum update" on my FC3 test host. I just got a few
update packages, namely those official updates available from my German
mirror TU Chemnitz. I manually changed the repo files under
/etc/yum.repos.d/ to have hand selected baseurls.

> Timothy Murphy

Sorry, I am not laughing about you - please don't misunderstand me in
this point. But as said initially, the way you got to python 2.4 was
getting the package (along with others certainly) from the development
branch. Somewhere during your testing period you seem to got repository
entries active which take the development / rawhide tree for latest
package versions. You are not the only one. If looking at the test list
you will see that.

Downgrading may become tricky. First you should find out which packages
are not FC3 + updates versions. The /var/log/yum.log could be helpful or
else generate a package list (rpm -qa | sort) and compare the output
with the package list on a mirror server.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 19:22:19 up 26 days, 17:01, load average: 0.45, 0.36, 0.38