Re: FC3 with VMware hangs on shutdown

Rasmus Back wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:50:22 -0500, David Wolinski <dwolinski@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,
       I successfully installed VMware-workstation-4.5.2-8848 on FC3 following
the tips in the FC3 Release Notes (below).  However, when I try to
shutdown the machine, the shutdown process hangs at the following
console message:

unregister_netdevice: waiting for vmnet1 to become free. Usage count = 1

(My virtual machine uses both the vmnet1 and vmnet8 network interfaces.)

Can anyone please explain what's going on or suggest a solution?

I had the same problem, apparently the vmware installer doesn't create
a symlink to /etc/init.d/vmware in /etc/rc0.d so the service isn't
stopped at shutdown and the modules can't be unloaded. Try running:
ln -s /etc/init.d/vmware /etc/rc0.d/K08vmware
as root. This should allow the vm* modules to be unloaded.

You could also use "chkconfig vmware reset" to make sure all the links are set properly.

Paul.