Telinit Problem

I wanted to install the nvidia video driver and have been flummoxed in the first step!!

I log in as "Root" and then open a terminal. I enter "telinit 3" and am greeted with a blank sreen. I press a key and there are 4 lines and then nothing. I have to reboot to get out of it. Here are the lines:

starting pcmcia: [ok]
starting irqbalance: [ok]
starting automount: no mounpoints defined: [ok]
starting anacron: [ok]

I realize these are the steps that occur when booting but why does it stop?