3com OfficeConnect 11g doesn't work after waking up

I've just installed FC3 on my IBM ThinkPad T21.  On the whole the
system is working well.  However, there is one problem which I'd really
like to get fixed: when the system wakes up, the wireless card doesn't
work.

The card is a 3com OfficeConnect version 1.0.  I've downloaded the
firmware and put it in /lib/firmware/isl3890.  The card is configured
as eth1 and works.  There are link and activity lights on the card.
While the machine is running I can do
# ifdown eth1 && sleep 5 && ifup eth1
and get the expected behaviour (including the link light on the card
disappearing).  Messages like the following get logged but don't seem
to be a problem (remember "ibm" is just the hostname):
  Nov 14 21:14:51 ibm hald[2297]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 307. Rebasing to 308

I put the laptop to sleep by typing
# echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep

It goes to sleep fine, and I wake it up by pressing the function button.
The following is logged:

Nov 14 21:41:31 ibm kernel: eth1: got suspend request (state 3)
Nov 14 21:41:33 ibm kernel: eth1: got resume request

As the machine wakes up, the link light comes on first.  Then the activity
light comes on and stays on solidly.  When I try and ping something on
the network, nothing happens.  Bringing the interface up and down doesn't
fix the problem (though sometimes the activity light will disappear after
a while).  While you're bringing the interface up and down, messages
like this are logged:
Nov 14 21:47:43 ibm kernel: eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
Nov 14 21:47:48 ibm kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
Nov 14 21:47:50 ibm kernel: eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
Nov 14 21:47:51 ibm kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
Nov 14 21:47:51 ibm kernel: eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
Nov 14 21:47:52 ibm kernel: eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
Nov 14 21:47:52 ibm kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
Nov 14 21:47:53 ibm kernel: eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
Nov 14 21:47:53 ibm kernel: eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full

The only way I've found to fix it so far is to rmmod prism54 && modprobe
prism54.  Note that just taking out and putting
in the card doesn't work without doing the "rmmod prism54".

I'd be most grateful for any help fixing this problem.  Also, do
let me know if there's any further information I should provide to
this list on the matter.

  Simon.