Re: PCG-R505 Vaio Laptop and FC3

On Sunday 14 November 2004 12:26, Will Kibler wrote:
> Ok, kinda new to this list so bear with me. I am having a FC3
> issue with a new installation on my laptop.
>
> When I get to the part of the installation where it switches
> graphical I start to get garbage on my screen, I am able to see
> the important bits but every so often randomly half the screen
> will fill up with garbage.

I have a PCG-R505TEK here running FC3.  There have been some changes
for FC3 and it seems that anything that uses the i810 video driver
is most likely going to have the kind of problems you are seeing.
My current configuration file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) includes the
sections:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "i810"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "Intel 815"
#        Option      "NoAccel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

and works very well on a day to day basis.  I had the same problem
you did at installation.  The symptoms seem to vary with the type
and revision level of the graphics controller you have. Many people
have had luck by including the "NoAccel" option above.  As you see,
I'm running with it commented out.  Many people also can use a
Depth of 24 as opposed to 16 (Millions of colors vs Thousands of
colors) as I am using above. You'll have to play with these to see
what works for you.  If you make a change I'd suggest that you
shutdown and power off for a few minutes after you make the change,
then boot it back up.  It seems to make a difference. There are
several messages concerning this in the archives of this list,
fedora-test-list, and fedora-devel-list.

Regards, Mike Klinke