Re: Network troubles

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 01:34, J.L. Coenders wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a laptop with FC2 running smoothly on it. Usually, at home and at
> university I plugin the networking cable, the ip address gets DHCPed and
> everything works fine.
>
> Recently I also have a working place at a company where I also would like to
> connect my laptop to the network. However, the company has a quite a security
> system. All internet traffic goes through proxys. However, I do not want to
> reconfigure my browser, ftp application, etc. every time. And as a second
> thing some strange things happen, involving the automatic syncing of the
> clock.

To handle the proxy issue setup a second profile in mozilla or firefox.
I have one I use for work which requires proxies and one I use when
connected to my home network which does not use proxies.  When the
browser starts it prompts for which profile to use, just select the
profile and all the setting are taken care of.  To setup a profile you
can issue the command   firefox -P  in a CLI.  I have to look that up
for mozilla but it may be the same.

Not sure what odd things are happening with your clock.  Most likely the
company firewalls are blocking ntp for the servers configured on your
laptop.  That should not be a problem unless your laptops hardware clock
is not set correctly when you shutdown or it is not keeping reasonable
time for some reason.  More information would be needed to figure out
that problem.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

A team effort is a lot of people doing what I say.
		-- Michael Winner, British film director