NetworkManager

I have a laptop with a Linksys WPC11v3 (prism chipset) for which I use
the orinoco_cs driver and have the SSID and WEP key specified in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1. It works fine using the old
way, but I want to set up NetworkManager and be cool. :p I haven't
seen a HOWTO on setting up NetworkManager (I guess the point is you
don't have to 'set it up') and I'm having some issues. I get the
impression that if I turn on the NetworkManager service (which is
required to use it) I should turn of the network service, is that
right? Also, set all interfaces to not start at boot? If so, check.
When I start NetworkManagerInfo after logging in (not as root), I get
the radar applet looking for a net. My wifi network uses 128 bit WEP
and does not broadcast the SSID. So I select Other Wireless Networks
and am prompted for the ESSID. So I type it in and click the Connect
button. The first time I did this my machine froze hard. I had to hold
down the power button to turn it off and reboot. The second time it
didn't lock the machine, I got the blue swirly thing with two dots.
Then it crashed and I had no more network connectivity. I rebooted
just to make sure I was working in a clean state. So now, the third
time I'm trying, after setting the SSID clicking Connect I seem to be
perpetually waiting with the blue swirly and two dots. If I click on
the applet it lists my SSID with a selected radio button to the left
and an empty status/progress bar on the right.

I tried to read all the bugs related to NetworkManager in bugzilla,
and read something about disabling ipv6 in /etc/modprobe.conf and
another bug that says NM breaks ipv6. I don't use ipv6 so don't mind
disabling it but don't know how (bug didn't specify). I've seen a few
bugs with similar problems to mine, but couldn't derive any solutions
from them.

--
; Justin Georgeson
; "Free the mallocs, delete the news"