Re: machine powers off during FC3 install

On Saturday 13 November 2004 21:35, Benton Whitaker wrote:
>    All of my FC3 CDs have passed the media check but during
>installation, after choosing packages and calculating dependencies,
> my system will power off at about 75% of the way through the
> "Preparing to install..." completion status window (same spot every
> time). I have never had any problems installing or using FC2. Im
> using a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop with one disk partitioned into an
> NTFS for winXP, an ext3 for Fedora, and a swap for the ext3. Note
> that Im doing a fresh install...choosing to format the ext3 and
> swap.
>    Now if I choose a 'minimal install'...the installation succeeds
> and everything works fine...minus not having any of the packages I
> want. 'Install everything' fails with a power off during 'Preparing
> to install..." just like choosing my own packages fails. I have
> what I consider a basic understanding of linux, I can recompile the
> kernel and install modules etc, yet I have no point of reference on
> this problem. Usually hours of Google searches answers just about
> anything. Thanks in advance for any insight one can offer.
>               -Benton

The first place I'd look is into the bios, to see if this behaviour
can be thwarted somehow.  Check in the blanker preferences if it has
such a menu, to see if there is some sort of an inactivity timeout
that is set for shutdown as a power saver feature.  It may also be
under power management.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)