Re: Samba Permissions

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:27:29 -0600, Randy Kelsoe <randykel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Stormblaze wrote:
>

> >On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:12:12 +0100, shrek-m@xxxxxx <shrek-m@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >> <>Stormblaze wrote:
> >> # Global parameters
> >> [global]
> >> server string = Linux Server
> >> interfaces = eth1
> >> security = SHARE
> >> preferred master = Yes
> >> ldap ssl = no
> >>
> >> [Data]
> >> path = /Data
> >> admin users = root, admin, administrator
> >> write list = root, admin, administrator
> >> guest ok = Yes
> >>

> >># ll /Data
> >>

> Where is the output? Did you get nothing when you did this ll? If so,
> there is nothing there, or only hidden files. Have you  set up your
> samba users with the 'smbpasswd -a username' command?
>
> >> <>valid users = mary fred
> >
> This will allow only the specified users to connect. You say you cannot
> write to that dir? If you actually have a dir called /Data, check the
> owner of the directory. What I had to do on one machine so that multiple
> users could write to the same files was create a group of those users on
> the linux (samba) box, and use the 'force group = groupname' option in
> the smb.conf file.
>
> Try this: (and substitute user1,user2,user3 for valid usernames on your
> XP boxes)
>
> groupadd smbppl
> edit the /etc/group and /etc/gshadow files and add your user names,
> separated by commas to the end of the entires for smbppl
> (smbppl:x:502:user1,user2,user3)
> Change the group ownership of your /Data dir and all it's files:
> chown -R root.smbppl /Data
> edit your smb.conf file to look like this:
>
> [Data]
> path = /Data
> valid users = user1,user2,user3
> force group = backup
> force create mode = 660
> create mask = 0775
> directory mode = 0775
> public = no
> writable = yes
>
> run 'testparm' to check the syntax
> restart samba (service smb restart)
> then try to write to the dir from an XP box

Some of what you said got me thinking about users and so I checked.
The only user listed in the smbpasswd file was nobody who was also in
the /etc/passwd file. When I tried to do a smbpasswd -a administrator
I got an error. I later learned that administrator needs to be a valid
unix user before I can map. So I added an administrator user. I was
then able to do the smbpasswd -a administrator fine.

I verified that the /etc/samba/smbusers contained the root =
administrator mapping and it did. Then I put administrator on the
write list and I restarted smbd and nmbd. I unmapped and re-mapped to
it. When I mapped to it I chose to log in as another user and I put in
administrator and supplied the password I'd given.

And I still can't write to it. What have I missed? I may go the acl
route later but I'd like to see if I can get this working. If not I'll
just work on an acl solution but I'd like to have this working if I
could. Prepare me for setting up future shares.

--
"We should have a way of telling people they have bad breath without
hurting their feelings. Like: Well I'm bored. Let's go brush our