Re: Can't boot from CD

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> I've just burned FC3 iso1 (x86) onto a CD_RW (having first checked the
> md5 sums of the isos), and attempted to
> boot. It won't boot from the CD-ROM drive (I turned off all other
> devices to make sure, and got "Operating system not found".)
>
> Suspecting the burning process, I tried booting of a previous RedHat
> CD - same result.
>
> So it appears to be some kind of hardware problem.

Sounds like it. It could be a dodgy CD drive.

You haven't rearranged the cables in your machine since FC2, have you?
There are motherboards out there (usually with add-on IDE ports) which
won't boot CDs plugged into certain IDE ports.

Are both CDs CD-RWs? There are CD drives which take a while to detect
that there's a CD-RW in them, and the BIOS times out before they report
that there's a bootable CD in there. One solution is CD-Rs, another is
to close the CD tray at the right time so the CD is still spun up when
the BIOS boots...

> I installed FC1 and FC2 from this same drive, so it ought to work.
>
> The CDROM drive is enabled for booting in the BIOS (apparently - it's
> a Phoenix BIOS). Is there anything else I need to do, or are there any
> diagnostics that I can run?

Hmm -- I'm not used to Phoenixes. Does this one list the CD drive on
boot-up, and/or does it list that there's a CD in the appropriate list
of detected hard drives?

It's certainly possible to tell Award BIOSes to boot from CD, but to
turn off auto-detection so they never get a chance to look for ATAPI
devices like CDs.

> If not, is there another way of installing? (I only burned iso 1,
> intending to access the other iso images from my /home partition,
> which is what I did for FC2)

Can you boot from USB devices? Try using the diskboot.img in the /images
directory of the CD.

There are other ways around -- you might find this works:
http://www.deesconsulting.com/glbf

If you've still got FC2 installed, there are tricks you can use with
grub: search the archives.

Or there's
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-November/msg00309.html
if you're feeling adventurous...

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | To children ardent for some desperate glory,