Re: Fedora Core 3 - upgrade notes

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:19:50 +0000, Timothy Murphy
<tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Aly Dharshi wrote:
>
> > You have to remember that Fedora Core is considered bleeding edge ! So
> > newbies should use at their own risk. :)
>
> That's a silly remark, IMHO.
> FC-3 is meant to work, isn't it?
> If it doesn't work on some machine that's a bug,
> not a matter of being "bleeding edge".
>
> >> - The description of the httpd package doesn't mention Apache
>
> I've wondered about this.
> (I think it predates FC-3, though.)
> Why has Apache suddenly become a forbidden word?
> Is it a licensing issue?

[snip]

Quite simple actually.  From www.apache.org home page:

"The Apache Software Foundation provides support for the Apache
community of open-source software projects. The Apache projects are
characterized by a collaborative, consensus based development process,
an open and pragmatic software license, and a desire to create high
quality software that leads the way in its field. We consider
ourselves not simply a group of projects sharing a server, but rather
a community of developers and users."

httpd just happens to be the most well known software supported by,
and associated with, apache.  Others include spamassassin, tomcat,
jakarta...
--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.