Re: Fedora Core 3 - upgrade notes

You have to remember that Fedora Core is considered bleeding edge ! So newbies should use at their own risk. :)

Some Things wrote:
In case anybody cares, here are a few comment from one person's update
to Fedora Core 3.

--- Really, really bad ---

- On my box I need to enter "linux ide=nodma" at the very first prompt or
  the install soon hangs.  This is terrible.  What if I didn't know
this.  Its enough
  to make a newbie give up.  Isn't there a way for the IDE drivers to
attempt to use
  DMA and it doesn't work fall back to nodma?

- Perhaps because of the above during the install, I got the popup dialog
saying a package could not be installed because the media might be corrupt.
I got this message lots ... maybe 25 times during the whole install.
There's a button to retry however, and this is my point, there is no way
to SKIP the package. Once I got this dialog for the words package.
I would be happy to skip this package if it meant getting to the end
of the install! Luckily, for me each time I asked it to retry it worked.
I seem to recall a skip option in earlier Redhat releases.
--- Could be better ---

- The boot is very ugly. In the rhgb there's a "Show Details" button
but it seems to click
itself at one point. Later it goes back to "no details" without
user intervention.
There are many screen mode changes as it switches to Kudzu. It
seems to have curses
problem drawing up. I tried disabling Kudzu and the details/no details switch
still occurs.
- Its nice that rpm makes .rpmsave backups of config files but it
should not make
the .rpmsave files when there is no change.

--- Nit picks ---

- Why not merge the zip and unzip packages just like both gzip and
gunzip are in the same package
- No description for libgpg-error as its installed (I said these were nitpicks)
- The description for system-config-network-tui begins "NEtwork".  E
shouldn't be capitalized.
- The description of the httpd package doesn't mention Apache
- There are package names with underscore.  But most have dashes.  Inconsistent.
- Include yam (http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam) in next release
- Isn't it time to rename yp to nis? (eg there's still /etc/yp.conf)

--- Nice ---

- Feels faster
- Firefox
- /etc/yum.repo.d is good