Re: Sharing Samba printer with XP

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 9:51 am, Steve Huffman wrote:
> Much is available in the literature and archives about sharing a Samba
> printer with W2K/XP. All is depressing and doesn't seem to capitalize on
> Samba's presence. Is anything new on this topic in FC3? Are there some
> good places to read up?

I tried this and finally gave up.  Since XP understands IPP (Internet Printing
Protocol) it's a lot easier to just set up XP to work with CUPS.

You still have to get a driver for the printer onto the XP installation
somehow.  And you have to tweak a couple of CUPS configs to allow raw input.
I don't remember the details, but the clues were in the CUPS log file after
trying to print from the XP machine.  Something about setting a MIME type for
raw printing, which is disabled by default in CUPS.

Hope this helps.  Believe me, it was LOTS simpler than trying to get XP
working with Samba printers!

Ken