Re: kernel sources for FC3 2.6.9-1.667

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 11:55 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 10:45:16AM -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
>
>  > On one hand, the FC3 packages are compiled with the "mtune=pentium4"
>  > flag yet the kernel is distributed based on PentiumPro. Then it has the
>  > additional overhead of the generic x86 code.
>
> You'll be hard pressed to find a real-world example where this makes a
> noticable difference. Even microbenchmarks will likely be in the less
> than 5% range.

That's probably true although it could vary widely depending upon
applications. Even at 5%, it takes about a half hour to custom compile a
Fedora 3 kernel; It is seemingly worthwhile. OTH, since my little
"accident" last May, I have WAY too much time on my hands.

BTW (in my educator mode), compiling a kernel provides users with a
learning experience and increases their confidence that they can
experiment with Linux without their computer blowing up. At least mine
hasn't - not yet anyway -;)