Re: Chat

> Hello
>
> We have a network but I like to install a chat program that does not
> require a server, like irc or jabber.  So it should be peer to peer.
>
> But it should support messages from Windows and Linux systems.
>
> At this stage we use Realpopup in Windows, but we can't find a chat
> program in Linux that can send messages to Realpopup.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> Derick Schmidt
>
> --

Hi Derick,

First: also IRC and Jabber need servers, somewhere. As a client, you can use for linux clients gaim (which is shipped
with), for windows i use miranda ( http://www.miranda-im.org ) both of those are able to support many protocols like
jabber, icq, aim, irc, msn. and so on...

why not installing a LOCAL chat server? For Jabber 1.4.3 there are some rpm's where you should get a
jabber-chat-server up-and-running in a few hours....and it's local and free. Also those rpms support transports for
other neworks like msn, (icq doesn't work on 1.4.3) and others. You find the SRC-RPMS here:
ftp://people.redhat.com/ksonney/SRPMS/