Re: can't open display

Dennis Gilmore wrote:
Once upon a time Tuesday 09 November 2004 11:16 pm, phurd wrote:

Hey All,

Up until unpgrading to FC3 I would ssh from machinea on machineb and then
run programs on machineb remotely from machinea.  I get confused by X
client/server language.  Since upgrading machinea from FC2 to FC3 I get
errors

like:
: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Xt error: Can't open display:

Reading the release notes would help the way ssh works has changed. try ssh -X machineb and it will work

The machine wide settings are in /etc/ssh/ssh_config if you want to change the behaviour of ssh for yourself copy this file to $HOME/.ssh/ssh_config and change

   ForwardX11 no

   ForwardX11 yes

If you want to change it permanently only for a specific domain insert

   Host *.yourdomain.org
     ForwardX11 yes

Dennis

Your privat ssh_config in $HOME/.ssh/ will overwrite the settings in /etc/ssh/ssh_config as long as the SSH server on the remote machine allows it.

Alex