Problem mounting Samba Share in fstab

This one is really making me tear my hair out!  I'm using FC3 with KDE
(I had the same problem with FC2, though!)

I want to mount my home directory on our (FC2) server on my own FC3 box
using fstab.

I have added this line to /etc/fstab:

//fido/gardner    /home/gardner/smbhome  smbfs
username=gardner,password=mypassword    0 0

When I reboot FC3 I see an icon on my desktop called "remote share" and
it's mounted.  I can open any file which is not in a folder, but I can't
get into folders.  I suspect this is because my uid/gid are 500/500 on
my own FC3 box, but 668/668 on the server.  However, why can I open
files but not folders (permissions for both are uid=668 and gid=668)?

I've tried every combination of fmask/dmask that I can think of, but
with no joy.  I even spent three hours on IRC with very patient people,
but no joy either.

I can access all files and folders as root.  I ought to say that the
reason I want to mount the Samba share is so I can save files directly
to it without having to cut and paste (I can of course get in via sftp
or the lan browser, -- what i want to do is, e.g. save a document direct
from OpenOffice...)

Has anyone run into a similar problem... and solved it?

Best wishes,

Tim

timothy.gardner [at] english.op.org
(English Province of the Order of Preachers)