Re: P4 Motherboard for File Server

Satin Knight wrote:
> I need a motherboard suggestion. I've a Pentium 4 / 2.4C GHz 800MHz
> CPU sitting aorund and want to build a file server using a SATA RAID.
> I've already got four WD SATA 250 GB drives, a nice 3Ware Escalade
> 9500S-4LP controller and a beautiful Chenbro RM311 case.
>
> Motherboard Requirements
> Must Have:
> - Stable
> - On board SATA (Don't need RAID I have a real harware card for that).
> I'm going to run the OS off a 36 G raptor.
> - USB2 ports
> - 64 bit PCI slot (for the RAID card)

That's the expensive bit. You don't get 64 bit PCI on normal PC
motherboards: you have to go to the server or workstation boards. And
those are much lower volume, and higher quality, so you pay extra.

I always was annoyed about that: I liked the idea that I could expand my
PC any way I liked. And that I could put an add-in card into the machine
that would work as well as the onboard stuff. With the advent of gigabit
ethernet and high-speed hard disk arrays, and the high-speed
interconnects within the chipset that weren't extended to expansion
slots, this dream faded.

Sorry, anyway.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | grasshopotomaus:
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | A creature that can leap to tremendous heights...