Re: FC2 to FC3 - issues?

Mark Haney wrote:

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 10:19 -0800, Joshua Andrews wrote:

I am running FC2 but would like to upgrade to FC3.

I don't have an extra PC or hard disk for a fresh install of FC3 so this will have to be a direct upgrade to FC2 on a multi-boot system.

Of course I will backup my /home directory but I want to know if there are issues to be aware of especially with regard to other OS's (win2k, RH9), that are already on the system.

Thanks,
Joshua

I am in the same boat as you, I just upgrade this laptop of mine to FC3 from FC2 without any problems particularly. The only issue I had was OpenOffice apps not opening, but that was due to a lib not being installed/upgraded during the upgrade. Besides that it was smooth sailing.

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) Kernel: 2.6.9-1.667 GNU/Linux 14:30:11 up 4:11, 1 user, load average: 1.43, 1.54, 1.73

I did both a fresh install and an upgrade of a completely up-to-date FC2 system. The fresh install seems perfect. The upgrade managed to lose track of the CD devices in K3b. It also didn't update my yum configuration file, so when I tried to use yum, nothing happened until I copied the configuration file from the fresh install. OpenOffice.org worked fine on both systems.

The great thing about the update was that it migrated all my evolution files from version 1.4 to version 2.0. I was then able to copy the .evolution folder from the updated system to the fresh install and migrate all of my e-mail to the fresh install. At this point I'm going to retire the updated system and use the fresh install. (System here means a different partition with an install, all on the same hardware.)

Gerry