Re: Installing other Linux distributions togheter with FC2

Am Di, den 09.11.2004 schrieb A. Lanza um 9:30:
> Does anybody know if I can install another distributions
> togheter with my FC2 and decide which one to run at boot time?

Not a problem at all, if you can spend a dedicated partition to test
another distro.

One of several possible layouts:

During installation of Fedora choose manual partitioning:

hda1  50-100 mb   mount point  /boot
hda2  4gb - 8 gb  mount point  /   (in fedora)
hda3  4gb - 8 gb  mount point  /mnt/test   (in fedora)
hda5  512 mb                   swap
hda6  remaining   mount point  /home

After completion of the fedora installation you may manually add to the
file /boot/grub/grub.conf the following lines (make a backup copy before
and afterwards another one):

title Testsystem
        rootnoverify (hd0,2)
        chainloader +1

Install the Distribution to wish to test completely into hda3 and ask it
not to touch the mbr and to install Lilo and/or grub also into hda3. By
doing it this way your test installation will not interfere with your
work system (fedora). During installation of your test system you will
have to use manual partition, too, in order to select hda3 for
installation. You may add your home partition as /mnt/myhome or
something like that in order to get access to your data in a rather safe
way (do not use your /home partition with valuable data as /home for
your test system without having checked the test system)

Peter