Re: FC3 Install on HP zv5000z (aka Compaq R3000z) notes

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Brian Stretch wrote:

> Some notes from the x86_64 version:
>
> nVidia's 6629 drivers won't drive my 1680x1050 widescreen.  The 6111
> version and regular nv work fine.  I neglected to switch back to nv
> before upgrading so I was in trouble no matter what (thanks to whoever
> posted the tip to add 3 to the grub options to force textmode startup).
> Disabling EDID was insufficient to get 6629 working:
>
>         Option      "IgnoreEDID" "true"
>         Option      "UseEdidFreqs" "false"
>
> EDID is almost certainly the root of the problem.  My screen isn't reporting
> its capabilities correctly and it's downhill from there.  I'd already set the
> correct modelines in FC2, I didn't check to see if FC3 already knows
> about 1680x1050 LCD panels.

This is why I bought the model with 1900x1200.  That size is the same as
the 20" Apple lcd display.

It took a specific mode line to get 1900x1200 to work right.  I found it
on one of the searches to get various pieces working.

> Bluetooth is very easy to get working, once you figure out how.  Install all
> the Bluetooth-related RPMs, start the bluetooth service, then:
>
> /usr/bin/hidd --server    # I added this to /etc/rc.local
> hidd --search    # While holding down the discovery button on your mouse/etc
>
> That'll get your Bluetooth mouse/keyboard/other HID device connected, then
> add:
>
> /usr/bin/hidd --connect <identifier_returned_by_search>
>
> to the end of your /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file.

Cool. Thanks! Now I just need to get a few Bluetooth devices...

> gnome-bluetooth-manager didn't work for me.  The startup script references
> /usr/lib rather than /usr/lib64 like it should;  fixing that launched the program but
> I don't think it was working correctly.  Oh well, best to use the command-line
> tools anyhow.  Anyhow, very cool to be able to use my Bluetooth mouse.

This has been reported already.  It should be fixed real soo now.

> I'm assuming we poor Broadcom WiFi users are still SOL under 64-bit Linux
> until Broadcom corrects their rectal-cranial inversion and starts supporting
> their wireless products?  I'd replace the miniPCI card but HP has locked out
> non-HP miniPCI wireless cards (documented in the HP Hardware Guide).
> The poor HP research tech I talked with can vouch for how very pissed off
> I am about this...

Crap!  I am pissed too. I have a mini-pci Intel card waiting to be
installed.  At least I did not find out after pulling out all the
screws...

> Power management works automagically.  Yaaaay!  (Anyone know how
> to undervolt in 64-bit Linux, like you can do with ClockGen under Windows?)

Not happy about it wanting to stay at 900mhz at boot when plugged in.  I
would prefer starting fast and then clocking down when it starts to get
hot.

> Weird: sometimes, the kernel complains about "K8 Errata #93" being
> unpatched, sometimes it doesn't.  It doesn't appear to hurt anything.  I'm
> running BIOS F.21 on my zv5000z;  F.03 definitely didn't have this errata
> patched but I'm pretty sure they fixed it by F.12.

I have not seen this.

> I like the new desktop background :-).
>
> Overall, it's a nice upgrade.  Absolutely worth it.  Nice job!

I am still working on the torrent.  I am currently using the fc3 test
rawhide.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.