Re: FC3 upgrade

Phil Schaffner wrote:
Seth Vidal had mentioned doing a guide to yum upgrades. Closest I can
find is his message on fedora-test-list:

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 14:29 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

To upgrade via yum the short version goes like this:

1. backup all your data
2. upgrade yum to yum from fc3
3. upgrade fedora-release to fedora-release from fc3
4. make sure all your repositories point where you think they should
point.
5. run yum list updates - just to make sure things seem sane and
working
6. make sure you are NOT in X and X is not loaded
6. from a terminal prompt run: yum upgrade
7. wait wait wait
8. you must reboot before using your system again
9. reboot the system and make sure you select the new kernel, not the
old one(s)
10. once your system is fully booted you may want to install some
additional items. Recommended:
 yum groupupdate "GNOME Desktop Environment"

let me know what problems you encounter.

-sv

Just tried an apt dist-upgrade by following the above lines and it chokes because of KDE... They have changed which files go into which rpm...

Serge