Re: Linux to be browse in windows folders file

Irwin Mercader wrote:

> I installed Linux in a different Harddisk, and I installed the
> "windows file server" in the add/remove of Linux.  and I still cannot
> find my Windows XP directory

Jeff Vian replied:
> Uhhhh?
>
> I am not sure what you are doing here.  Is this a dual boot machine and
> you are trying to access the XP data when booted to Linux?
>
> If that is the case, and you are using NTFS on XP then you have a 2 step
> process to go thru.
> 1. download and install the NTFS module for FC from
> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/

It is possible (although not the default) for XP to be installed on
FAT32. In that case, this isn't necessary.

I think you can check by right-clicking on the drive in question in
Windows Explorer, and selecting "Properties". Take a look at the "File
System" line. (I don't think that's changed between 2000 and XP).

> 2. Create a mount point for the ntfs filesystem and mount it. Then you
> can access the data (only as "read only" reliably).

Same instructions, but use "vfat" and it can be read-write.

> If on the other hand this is one of 2 machines that are running and you
> want to access the data on the XP machine you will have to set up samba
> and turn on sharing on XP. (Samba is what you referred to as the Windows
> File Server)
>
> Samba will only run when Linux is running so it is worthless for your
> needs if you are dual booting.

Um. It's been a while since I've tried this, but I don't think you
technically *need* samba: you can just use mount -t smbfs -o...

Be aware, however, that there should be two firewalls, one on each
machine, and they'll both need to be set appropriately.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "My aunt's camel has fallen in the mirage."
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |     -- "Soul Music", Terry Pratchett.