Re: How do I configure a new monitor?

Satish Balay wrote:

Boot by editing (e) the grub menu - and change the following boot options
- remove 'rhgb'
- add '3'
Th machine should boot to runlevel 3 - which is console-only
text-mode. Now as root, run 'system-config-display' and try selecting
the correct monitor from the options.

Satish

Thanks for the help. I got it working again. But system-config-display ran completely
silently, and created a bogus xonfig file that didn't come close to working. I was able to run system-config-display with the options to manually set h&v sync,
then run it again with no arguments to get the correct configuration. Fortunately
it did not ask me to choose my monitor from a list (17 inch, it says 'DELL' on the front
and 'made by Sony in China' on the back - absolutely nothing resembling a model
number anywhere - but it does give me the sync and refresh parameters when turned
on without a video source).

This is the second machine I've upgraded from FC1 to FC2, and gained much
better display resolution on the same hardware.  In both cases, in both FC1
and FC2 I can set the display to 1600x1200; but in FC1 whenever I log in, it
resets the resolution to 1280x1024.  Was this a bug in FC1?  Not that it
matters to me anymore.
-- --
e. j. branagan
the MUSE <http://www.themusenashville.com>