Re: Linksys Wireless Card

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 13:51, Temlakos wrote:

> That's the only trouble with Linux: not every hardware maker wants to
> work with what is still as much a political movement as an industry
> standard, and that just makes things harder for everyone.
----
just a thought here...

I don't see this to be a problem with Linux at all but rather a two-fold
problem...

- people's expectations/lack of understanding what open source licensed
software truly is - it's not about free software, it also includes not
distributing software that isn't open source.

- manufacturers either unwilling to release their drivers as open source
to the community or doing so in between Linux distribution or kernel
releases thereby delaying them for 6 months to 2 years.

I don't agree with your notion of Linux as a political movement having
anything to do with some companies motivation - most of these companies
are eager enough to sell their hardware regardless of software platform.
Linux isn't a political movement...it's a software choice.

Craig