Re: usb/kernel problem

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 13:56, Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
[snip]
> However, usb is still not working. :(
>
> I really need help.
>
> Now it doesn't work even with 2.6.8-1.521 and acpi=off. It did work for
> a while, but now it is broken again. I tried to compile a stock kernel,
> 2.6.9, and it really didn't solve. Anytime i plug a usb device, a memory
> stick or a hdd doesn't matter, i still get the 'usual' error message:
>
> usb 2-2: control timeout on ep0out
> uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: Unlink after no-IRQ?  Different ACPI or APIC
> settings may help
>
> I tried both settings, acpi=off and noapic, and non solved (both with
> FC2 kernel and stock kernel).
>
> I hope somebody can help. I am afraid it may be related to a combination
> of my hardware (a dell dimension 4500 desktop) and something in the
> kernel - but i don't know at least how to figure this out.

Still hope somebody can help. ;)

I tried to figure out any difference in kernel log.

var/log/messages have different entries when usb storage worked and when it didn't.

Alway using:

kernel: Linux version 2.6.8-1.521 (bhcompile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7)) #1 Mon Aug 16 09:01:18 EDT 2004
kernel: Kernel command line: ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=off

but some entries are missing from logs when usb is not working. They are:

sysctl: kernel.sysrq = 0
sysctl: kernel.core_uses_pid = 1
network: Setting network parameters: succeeded
network: Bringing up loopback interface: succeeded

These are 'early' entries in messages. Loopback log missing is strange indeed: lo is configured anyway, but it doesn't log when usb is not working.

I really don't know what the first two entries mean, nor what they could be related to.

Any help? These are the only differences i could find, plus one more in ntpd log: when usb is not working, ntpd gets initialized with a frequency of 24.170 PPM from /var/lib/ntp/drift - when usb is working, the frequency scales down to 16.787 PPM. Don't know if this could mean something.

Hope somebody can at least tell me something about these logs.

Thanks all

E.