Re: Problems with RHN Fedora Core 2

windtim@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi, i've Fedora Core 2 and i'm trying to update my configuration with RHN. I've
registered nyself on the site, tryed to connect toRHN either trough up2date from
shell either trought the botton on GNOME desktop but in all cases it gives me
the same errors "Temporary failure in name resolution". I'm behind a proxy and
i've settted but connction to RHN fails yet. Can you help me? Thans a lot in advance

I really strongly recommend you use yum
- find your nearest mirror
- http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

- then update your /etc/yum.conf file with your mirror's base folder and updates folder for your version of fedora
- now you can just run yum check-update from command line
- yum update <leave blank for all updates, or type package name for specific update>
- yum install <package name> for a package you haven't installed already

- I can't remember the command for removing a package but just go to man yum for that one

I highly recommend yum, ever since I first had to learn how to use it, I was totally surprised at how easy it is to learn compare to most package management tools. Also updating the yum.conf with the mirrors is really easy. ALWAYS USE A MIRROR or it will be slow and time out on you. The default servers are too slow.

Gerald
geraldt@xxxxxxxxx