Re: any luck burning on a NEC 2500A ??

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 04:51, Angelo Machils wrote:

> >Hi there.
> >>
> >> I want to burn the ISO for the FC3, test 3 DVD, but I can't seem to burn
> >> any DVD's (or CD's for that matter) on my NEC 2500A burner in FC2. I
> >> have tried K3B, XCDRoast, Cdrecord and DVD record, but nothing works.
> >> The drive is seen, but when trying to burn, nothing happens.
> >>
> >> Any ideas anyone?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance, Angelo
> >

> >Are you trying to burn cd on a 2.6.8 kernel? If so you have to do this as root.
> >

> Tried is as root as well, but doesn't make a difference. When I boot
> from an older kernel (2.6.5-1.358) for example in K3B I see a quite
> different list of the possibilities of the burner then from the 2.6.8
> kernel. Under 2.6.8 for example according to K3B the burner can burn
> CD-RW, but no CD-R, DVD-R(W) but no DVD+R(W), while it doesn't burn at all.
> Under 2.6.5 it burns the iso without problems....Any known problem about
> this with the 2.6.8 kernel?!?!?!?!?!
>
> Thanks, Angelo

I log in as my regular user, then in a terminal window do "su -" .
After that I can launch k3b from the terminal command line and burn to
my hearts content.

The 2.6.8 kernel prevents regular users from having direct access to the
device for burning.

This has been discussed many times since 2.6.8 came out in this distro.