Re: OT: Rejoining video files

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

I used to use a simple script called uustrip. That was 10-15 years ago. I haven't found any updated version of it in a while. It is basically a wrapper for uudecode to strip out the header info from the various postings leaving only the uuencoded part which it then sent to uudecode. No support for newer encoding methods (xxencode or rar or such).

I also used to use AUB (Assemble Usenet Binaries) which would read files directly from various NewsGroups via nntp and decode the contents of all of the fragmented files which were comepletly available.... It was written entirely in Perl, and did the decoding itself. It did its best to find all of the partial files by sorting through the Subject lines and grouping based the part numbers. Again, my copy is old enough to not support other than uuencoded binaries.

I've often wished that some of the (current) Newsreaders had better support for grouping/saving/decoding split postings. XRn used to do it real well 15 years ago.... Mozilla/Thunderbird won't even let you save multiple postings to a single file!

Thanks kevin,
Managed to get back into sorting out the binaries after a hard bout with bi-polar,I found the perl prog. aub at freshmeat and a rpm at rpmfind ver.2.1.3-1.i686 but is two years old and does not appear to be maintained anymore,it handled all the various .ext's but I forgot the -c
option first up.

--- 108 images -- bigpond.broadband.binaries -> /home/david/kinema
----- all done -- bigpond.broadband.binaries
 -- Extracted Files: 108, Total Time Taken: 499 secs
 -- Thrown away files: 19 (not encoded, or illegal suffix, or duplicate)
 -- Total Extracted: 344413.1 KBytes
 -- Total Downloaded: 507750.6 KBytes
 -- Rate of downloading (includes decode time): 1017.5 KBytes/sec

I ran a few .wmv's and appear to be very good (no jerks at a joining point - not that I would notice! )

   Thanks for the help   david