squirrelmail does not display anything but inbox

hi folks.
because my work takes me to several sites where I only have web access via
ports 80/443 (usually via  a proxy) I decided to install squirrelmail to make
my email accessible via a web browser.
My problem is this:
Squirrelmail steadfastly refuses to see any folders other than INBOX.
I am running dovecot/FC2 for imap/s, with my mail folders in ~/Maildir
Every 'ordinary' mail client I have tried sees my folders without any
problems. Squirrelmail does not - no matter what I put in as 'prefix to
folders'  (even leaving it blank) - it does not detect any of them.
anyone seen this before?
Does Squirrelmail access imap servers differently to ordinary client apps?
any suggestions would be most welcome...

Thanks

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX