Re: selecting videocard for the console

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:47:09 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Keith Hunt wrote:
> > Thanks.  I am not at the moment concerned with running a dual-headed
> > display.  I only have one monitor right now.  Someday I hope to have
> > two, so I didn't want to take the second videocard out.  The "problem"
> > is that the card that is not connected to the monitor is being
> > selected as the primary and all the conole messages are sent there, so
> > I don't see the boot messages or the login prompt without switching
> > the monitor cable.  Once I login I can get X started on the card I
> > want.  It's just an annoyance.
> >
> > Both cards are PCI.  Perhaps the location is the determining factor.
> > That is what I have suspected but I would like to know for sure, as
> > well as being curious about whether the selection is "tweakable"
> > somewhere.
>
> If it is tweakable, it would be in your motherboard's CMOS Setup.  You
> will need to look there.  Otherwise, it's almost certainly PCI slot
> specific (specific to the order in which your motherboard's BIOS
> searches for videocards in the PCI slots).  The simple thing to do would
> be to switch the locations of the video cards....

Yeah, that might do it.

> I have seen CMOS Setup selections for choosing AGP before PCI and vice
> versa, but I don't remember seeing a selection for which PCI slot in any
> of my motherboards.  [That doesn't mean there weren't any, just that I
> don't remember seeing them!]

My system works as you remember.  I can select AGP or PCI, but not any
specific PCI address.

> Question, does the monitor show you the BIOS messages during bootup?
> This would be a simple test to know if its the video card that the BIOS
> sees first....  If so, then something in the Linux video initialization
> must be different.  *That* I don't know how to fix.

No, I don't even see the BIOS messages.  Oh well, I guess I will just
switch the cards or take the second one out.  Not a big deal.  Thanks
for your help.

--
Keith