Re: selecting videocard for the console

Keith Hunt wrote:
Thanks.  I am not at the moment concerned with running a dual-headed
display.  I only have one monitor right now.  Someday I hope to have
two, so I didn't want to take the second videocard out.  The "problem"
is that the card that is not connected to the monitor is being
selected as the primary and all the conole messages are sent there, so
I don't see the boot messages or the login prompt without switching
the monitor cable.  Once I login I can get X started on the card I
want.  It's just an annoyance.

Both cards are PCI. Perhaps the location is the determining factor. That is what I have suspected but I would like to know for sure, as
well as being curious about whether the selection is "tweakable"
somewhere.

If it is tweakable, it would be in your motherboard's CMOS Setup. You will need to look there. Otherwise, it's almost certainly PCI slot specific (specific to the order in which your motherboard's BIOS searches for videocards in the PCI slots). The simple thing to do would be to switch the locations of the video cards....

I have seen CMOS Setup selections for choosing AGP before PCI and vice versa, but I don't remember seeing a selection for which PCI slot in any of my motherboards. [That doesn't mean there weren't any, just that I don't remember seeing them!]

Question, does the monitor show you the BIOS messages during bootup?
This would be a simple test to know if its the video card that the BIOS sees first.... If so, then something in the Linux video initialization must be different. *That* I don't know how to fix.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx